Friday, September 10, 2010

Peach Upside Down Cake


I made another batch jam out of the last of my peaches and I had enough slices left over for a cake...another experiment.  I need to buy some nutmeg and ginger.

First I put brown sugar in the slices and mixed well but gently. Next I made a basic butter cake recipe from Good Housekeeping, poured it onto the peaches and baked at 350 till golden brown.

Basic Butter Cake
by Good Housekeeping
  • 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
  • 3/4 cup(s) whole milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cup(s) sugar
  • 3/4 cup(s) butter or margarine, softened
  • 3 large eggs
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13" by 9" metal baking pan, or three 8-inch round or two 9-inch round cake pans. Dust pan(s) with flour.
  2. On waxed paper, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. In cup, mix milk and vanilla; set aside.
  3. In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat sugar and butter just until blended. Increase speed to high; beat 3 minutes or until creamy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Reduce speed to low; add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
  4. Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture just until blended, scraping bowl occasionally.
  5. Pour batter into prepared pan(s). Bake 40 to 45 minutes for 13" by 9" cake, 23 to 25 minutes for 8- and 9-inch layers, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan(s) on wire rack 10 minutes. With knife, loosen side of cake(s) from pan(s); invert onto wire rack to cool completely.


I made 2 layers.  I sent one to the Pastors and I ate most of the other. I was going to stack em and send both but one would not cooperate.

Note to self: Pastor Kristi liked it. I asked her what she would change and she suggested chopping peaches and adding to the batter...try that next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment