My summer was all about peaches. I have bought 1 small basket (held 5), 2 pecks and 2 bushels.
I started with just devouring them raw, then decided I wanted some for the winter. For the first time ever I took on the job of freezing, canning and jamming them. First batch I ended up with 10 quarts in the freezer. Second I turned into Jam and Canned some slices. Third batch I made more Jam. All of these I treated about the same way.
- Make a light syrup using about a cup of sugar to about 4 cups of water and a dash of lemon juice.
- Wash the fruit
- Blanch for 60 seconds (I did 2 at a time) to remove skin.
- Cut in half and remove the pit. Slice uniformly and place in the syrup.
- You'll need a very large stock pot for water bath.
- Heat oven to 200. Place mason jars in the oven.
- This is a plain Jane "I love peaches" recipe. Additional ingredients and mixing fruits I am sure would be terrific.
- place 16 cups of sliced (without syrup) in a dutch oven with 2 cups of sugar. That can be reduced to taste.
- Cook on medium high heat stirring CONSTANTLY. I break down the fruit with a potato masher as I stir.
- When it begins to bubble add 2 tablespoons of butter- keep stirring.
- When it comes to a full boil add 2 boxes of fruit pectin and continue to stir for 1 more minute and turn off heat.
- Remove hot jars 1 at a time and fill, seal and place in a water bath till all jars are used. Leave in the water bath till properly sealed. Between the boiling hot water and hot jam it doesn't take long to seal a jar.
- I used 1 quart freezer bags
Next adventure.....Apple Butter.