Wednesday, September 15, 2010

In the Land of Peaches


My summer was all about peaches.  I have bought 1 small basket (held 5), 2 pecks and 2 bushels.
I started with just devouring them raw, then decided I wanted some for the winter.  For the first time ever I took on the job of freezing, canning and jamming them.  First batch I ended up with 10 quarts in the freezer.  Second I turned into Jam and Canned some slices.  Third batch I made more Jam.  All of these I treated about the same way.


  • Make a light syrup using about a cup of sugar to about 4 cups of water and a dash of lemon juice.
  1. Wash the fruit
  2. Blanch for 60 seconds (I did 2 at a time) to remove skin.
  3. Cut in half and remove the pit.  Slice uniformly and place in the syrup.
To make jam:


  • You'll need a very large stock pot for water bath.
  • Heat oven to 200.  Place mason jars in the oven.
  • This is a plain Jane "I love peaches" recipe.  Additional ingredients and mixing fruits I am sure would be terrific.
  1. place 16 cups of sliced (without syrup) in a dutch oven with 2 cups of sugar.  That can be reduced to taste.
  2. Cook on medium high heat stirring CONSTANTLY. I break down the fruit with a potato masher as I stir.
  3. When it begins to bubble add 2 tablespoons of butter- keep stirring.
  4. When it comes to a full boil add 2 boxes of fruit pectin and continue to stir for 1 more minute and turn off heat. 
  5. Remove hot jars 1 at a time and fill, seal and place in a water bath till all jars are used.  Leave in the water bath till properly sealed.  Between the boiling hot water and hot jam it doesn't take long to seal a jar.
*This recipe yields 10 half pint jars.

Frozen Peaches:

  • I used 1 quart freezer bags
Simply fill the bags with fruit and syrup and seal.

Canned Peaches:
 
I used large mason jars for this.  Ladle fruit and syrup into jars packing in the fruit.  Seal in a water bath.

Next adventure.....Apple Butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment