Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Red Velvet Cake

One of my favorites.  I have never met anyone who doesn't like it.  I have a simple recipe that came from a community cookbook my mom gave me when I was 16.  I bake one for each Pastor (Senior, Assistant and Youth) and for Irene and us. This year the tradition went a little further.  I met a customer on Monday that also loves to create for gifts and she told me she has not had a Red Velvet since her best friend died several years ago.  I asked her is she could come back on Tuesday.  She said she could, so I made her a cake too.  It was a very interesting experience.  I wrote her out a Christmas card and told her how much God loves her. I had to keep my word even if I had to stay up to Midnight to do it.
She did come by to get it and she seemed a little surprised I went through with my promise. Today she brought the pan back with a card or appreciation. Her name is Linda. I'll never forget her face. I hope to talk to her throughout the next year.
I have found Wal-mart to be a very fertile planting ground.

A note from Linda


Cake Recipe
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp soda
1 tsp white vinegar
1 oz bottle red food color

mix everything together accept the vinegar and soda.  After mixing well pour the vinegar into the soda and mix gently into the batter. Bake (in either 9x13 pan or 2 - 9 inch pans) at 350 for about a half an hour for round pans and 40 min for 9x13 pan.  Or until tooth pick comes out clean.

Frosting:
1 stick butter (softened)
1- 8 oz package of cream cheese
1 - 16 oz box of powder sugar
1 tsp vanilla
optional 1 cup chopped pecans

Beat butter and cream cheese together till fluffy.  Slowly add powder sugar.  When fully consumed beat in vanilla.  Pecans can be put in the frosting or on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment